Sunday, April 12, 2015

Rental Car Deals
American Express has a plan where for $19.95 per rental they cover all damage costs not attributable to negligence and you can refuse all rental insurance. No limit as to rental duration. You must charge the rental with the AMEX card.

AMEX is a good deal, but I believe it's for those that already own a car. If you rent and get into an accident, their plan covers. That way, you don't get dinged by your primary insurer. I called them a while back when I saw this. The agent told me it would not work for me. I have gone with Geico. They indeed have a comprehensive policy that covers folks that do not own. It beats rental car insurance rates hands down. This works for me. Thanks for the tips.

No, I am sorry but you are mistaken. It is a program for AMEX holders that if you have an AMEX card, you register that card with the program, then EVERY time you use the card to rent a car, the fee is applied to the card. You decline the rental care insurance and AMEX picks up all damage and theft claims for the duration of the rental for one fixed fee. You do not need to own a car to use the program.

The details are here: 
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/card-benefits/car-rental-insurance.html 

AMEX does indeed sell auto insurance but that is unrelated to the rental car insurance program and not a prerequisite - auto insurance is an entirely different entity. 

1 comment: