Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Oil Change #5 or #6 this year.


Well, Richard did not change my oil this morning.  It was Nick from Kerechuk.  Yes, it cost more but I got more--services that I can use but services that I did not ask for.  That's okay.  These guys are as efficient at Richard's mechanics but I trust these guys a lot more.  Richard and his crew speak Chinese.  I cannot compete with that.  I often feel I am being laughed at by Richard's staff, particularly Hai, the short Vietnamese guy who does major work on engines.  He switched out my thermostat back in 2014.  Since then the work at Richard's has been shoddy if not downright incompetent or deliberately wrecking my car and its engine.  I spent a lot of money over the years with Richard, and I kept thinking that my money bought me some kind of special treatment.  It hasn't.  Maybe it's the Trump effect, the guy who stoked racial fires and inflammed biases to the point where neighbors no longer trust each other.  

Anyway, my oil change at Kerechuk cost me $43.55.  But for that price I got services that I can't really verify.  For example, they offer to change the oil plug bolt.  Why?  If the original one is working fine, why switch it out?  I came in for an oil change, not an oil leak though my car is leaking oil.  He also promises to check other fluids.  Again, how can I tell?  Can I tell if he checked the brake fluids and if he did, how much replacement fluid was required?  My guess is that he didn't check any of the fluids.  It's only a price gimmick.  So this is why I hate putting into the hands of others the maintenance of my private property.    

The odometer reading at the time of my oil change today was 203606.  

According to my receipt, Kerechuk performed the following:
1.  Changed oil.  Put in 4.2 quarts of of 5W-20 Mobil Clean oil. What, as opposed to old oil?  
2.  They drained the oil obviously, replaced oil filter, replaced oil drain bolt washer, added motor oil, topped off fluid levels in cooling system, transmission, power steering, windshield washer bottle, brake system and battery.  Nick did tell me that my battery charge is weak.  Said that he usually gets the InterState battery. Interstate batteries is in Whittier.  Used batteries go for $45; new ones, $120.  InterState is located one block west of Pickering on Whittier just north of Mar Vista at: 

7327 Whittier Avenue
Whittier, CA 90602
562-698-9800.  
Closed Saturdays!  Unbelievable.




And they set tire pressure @32psi.  PSI is pounds per square inch. What does that mean in terms of pressure? more accurately, pound-force per square inch  (abbreviations: psi, lbf/in2, lbf/in2,  lbf/sq in,  lbf/sq in) is a unit of pressure or of stress based on avoirdupois  units.  It is the pressure resulting from a force of one pound-force  applied to an area of one square inch:
1 psi =  ≈  ≈ 6894.757 N/m²
2000 Honda Accord 2.3 LX

Mid-size car
Engine2.3 L 4-cylinder
Horsepower148 to 150 hp
MPGUp to 25 city / 31 highway
Curb weight2,943 to 3,053 lbs
Torque148 to 152 lb-ft
Dimensions187-189″ L x 70″ W x 55-57″ H

No comments:

Post a Comment